Sunday, June 20, 2010

Girl's Camp


I got home yesterday after spending three and 1/2 days in the mountains with 20 young ladies from my church.  

Almost six month ago, I was asked to be an assistant Girls Camp director with the two ladies pictured above.  None of us had been to Girls Camp since we were teenagers ourselves and the whole prospect was more than a little overwhelming.  Particularly in the last two months, my mind as been preoccupied with planning, preparing and organizing things for this trip.  

We left Wednesday morning with cars full of girls and trailers full of supplies and drove an hour and 1/2 to our camp site.  The next three days were packed with wonderful activities: archery, hikes, zip lines, service projects, skits, canoeing, food preparation, smores eating, musical firesides, and long fun chats.  I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it and immediately offered my services for next year.  It was a delightful way to feel "young again" as I got to know some amazing young woman in my area.  I am so grateful to my parents who came out to watch my kids and my husband who sent me off with his full blessing.  

I'm glad to home but I must admit, I do miss those girls.  I am so glad I was asked to be a part of it.  

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you! And you volunteered again for next year? You must have really loved it. Our girls go this week, and I have to admit I'm a little sad that I'm not going to be a part of it.

Marie said...

Glad you guys didn't freeze up there!

Tess said...

that is so nice to hear ... hooray for willing camp leaders. they are my heroes.