Thursday, December 4, 2008

I have recurrent kitchen sink problems

Many of you will remember this post. It is still a discussed topic in our house and my kids tease me when I use our disposal, asking if there are any pinto beans going down. I learned my pinto bean lesson but obviously not my small screw down the kitchen sink lesson. Let me explain:

In October, Dentist husband combined his two practices. In the process, a lot of miscellaneous things have been brought to our house that were not needed at either office. I won't go into all of the crap (Did I just write that?) I mean items (crap--opps, I did it again) that have ended up in our house with exception of a bag of small screws that ended up in the hands of my four year old boy.

In the morning, he put them in a drinking glass and told me that he was putting them in water to soak. I didn't care. Whatever.

Well, around mid day, I was cleaning up the kitchen and dumped the glass with the small screws into my disposal side of my sink. Silly me. I didn't immediately reach down and get all of those tiny screws out of my disposal. Instead, I finished wiping off counters, sweeping my floor, etc. Then, I made the mistake of turning on the disposal. The noise alone was shocking but the tell tale sign of the disposal jamming and throwing the breaker of the disposal made me realize this was no ordinary problem.

Long story short, after spending over an hour trying to fix the problem myself, pulling many tiny (smaller than the end of a pencil eraser) screws out of the sink drain, I was left with one tiny screw that I could feel jammed between the disposal wall. I gave in and called a plumber. So, $85 later, I have a working disposal again and I have learned another item that shouldn't go down it. (Oh I never even brought dentist husband in for a consult on this one, so don't rat me out anyone.)

3 comments:

sara said...

good call on keeping him in the dark. whenever i grind the hubcaps of the car on a rock or a sidewalk, i say brightly, "let's just keep this to ourselves! no need to tell daddy!"

like he never notices the damage i've done. ha.

Gabriela said...

Yeah, I often times don't include Guapo in little things like that. :) Sounds like you can handle things.

Jenn said...

I guess we will never learn that our homes will forever be the extra storage space for the dental office ;-P''''