Tuesday, October 12, 2010

A Red, Red Rose - Mulholland - 1990 Arkansas All-State Choir



For the last few days, this poem, in particular this musical arrangement of this poem by Robert Burns has been in my head.  As I have often posted, I sang in many choirs growing up.  I love singing in choirs and hearing all around me the moving notes of the various parts work together to create beautiful music.  I have always loved listening to a beautiful tenor line and this arrangement really spotlights the tenors.  And, as a 1st soprano, this was a fun one to let my high notes soar.  I also think the music really does this poem justice.  What a treasure Robert Burns gave to the world when he wrote this poem!  (And to be clear, I am not singing in this choral arrangement.  I found it on-line and they did a great job.  Go Arkansas All State choir!)


1.
O, my luve's like a red, red rose,
That's newly sprung in June.
O, my luve's like the melodie,
That's sweetly play'd in tune.
2.
As fair art thou, my bonie lass,
So deep in luve am I,
And I will luve thee still, my Dear,
Till a' the seas gang dry.
3.
Till a' the seas gang dry, my Dear,
And the rocks melt wi' the sun!
O I will luve thee still, my Dear,
While the sands o' life shall run.
4.
And fare thee weel, my only Luve,
And fare thee weel a while!
And I will come again, my Luve,
Tho' it were ten thousand mile!


3 comments:

sara said...

This was one of my favorites!!! Such a pretty song and love the words of the poem.

Now, can you find a choir doing Icarus?

Jane Anne said...

ooohhh, I love this. I've never heard it before.

kel said...

ah, the a capella memories. almost as good as a Johnson round of "pee for the children". now that's harmony!