Friday, January 14, 2011

Butternut Squash/Sage Lasagna

My friend Melinda made this for our Holiday book club dinner.  I finally got around to making it for my family last night.  My husband LOVED it.  My kids tolerated it but I will definitely make it again.  It is a Martha Stewart recipe.




INGREDIENTS 
Serves 8. 
3 1/2 pounds butternut squash, peeled, 
seeded, and cut into 1-inch pieces 
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil 
Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper 
1 pound whole-milk ricotta cheese 
1/2 cup heavy cream 
2 large egg yolks 
1/2 pound fresh mozzarella cheese, 
coarsely grated (2 cups) 
Freshly grated nutmeg 
2 tablespoons unsalted butter 
1/3 cup loosely packed fresh sage 
leaves, coarsely chopped 
1 1/4 cups homemade or store-bought 
low-sodium chicken stock 
Fresh Lasagna Noodles, (you will need 
only 1/2 of the batch), cut into 
4-by-13-inch strips and cooked, or store- 
bought dried noodles, cooked 
4 ounces finely grated Parmesan cheese 
(1 1/4 cups) 

DIRECTIONS 
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Toss squash, oil, and 1 
teaspoon salt on a baking sheet. Season with pepper. Bake 
until light gold and tender, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool. 
2. Reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees. Combine 
ricotta, cream, yolks, mozzarella, and a pinch of nutmeg in 
a medium bowl. Season with salt. 
3. Melt butter in a small saute pan over medium-high heat. 
As soon as it starts to sizzle, add sage, and cook until light 
gold and slightly crisp at edges, 3 to 4 minutes. 
4. Place squash in a medium bowl, and mash 1/2 of it with 
the back of a wooden spoon, leaving the other 1/2 in whole 
pieces. Gently stir in sage-butter mixture and stock. Season 
with salt and pepper. 
5. Spread 3/4 cup of ricotta mixture in a 9-cup baking dish. 
Top with a layer of noodles. Spread 1/2 of the butternut 
squash mixture over noodles. Top with a layer of noodles. 
Spread 1 cup of ricotta mixture over noodles. Repeat 
layering once more (noodles, squash, noodles, ricotta). 
Sprinkle Parmesan over ricotta mixture. 
6. Place baking dish on a rimmed baking sheet, and bake 
until cheese is golden and bubbling, 30 to 35 minutes. Let 
stand for 15 minutes before slicing and serving. 
   

Notes from Melinda (which I followed): Here is the recipe I used on Thursday. It may look involved, but it really isn't bad. I put it together in the morning and stuck it in the fridge until it was time to bake. I used 12 regular lasagna noodles in a 9"x13" pan, but I think I would have been happier with 16. If you read the recipe, it calls for four layers of noodles and I ended up with three. Or maybe I should have used a narrower dish. The squash mixture seemed loose as I was mixing it, so I only added a cup of chicken stock. It thickened as it baked. I used one 2-lbs pack of pre-cut butternut squash from the cold produce room at Costco. I would recommend the extra cost of fresh mozzarella. I can never shred the stuff, so I just cubed it fairly small. Costco has a 2-lbs pack that isn't exorbitant. I used low-fat ricotta. I can never tell a difference. Cooking the sage in butter is really worth the effort.

1 comment:

love.boxes said...

Butternut squash is one of my favorite things in life. Looks delicious!