Thursday, February 10, 2011

Heart Shaped Box of Chocolates

(My fireplace mantel right now)

In my house growing up, See's Candy was the preferred chocolate brand and it was not uncommon to receive a box of See's candy as a gift on a holiday or even for no specific reason.  We received them from our parents, as children we would sometimes go and buy a box for our parents or siblings and my aunts would send them to my mom.  I can't think of a box of chocolates without thinking of Sees Candy.

Last year, on a whim, I sent my mom a heart-shaped box of chocolates from Sees.  A few days later, I got a call from her.  She was thrilled with them and I learned something I did not know.  Ever since she was a little girl, she had wanted a heart-shaped box of chocolates.  She thought they were so fancy and fun.  She never really expressed this to anyone, including my father.  Over the years, my father acknowledged my mother on Valentine's Day with flowers, cards, gifts and sometimes, even with a rectangular box of See's Candy but never with a heart-shaped box.  

So, last year, at the age of 72, my mom received her first heart-shaped box of chocolates from me her 37 year old daughter.

This year, my mom returned the favor and the above pictured heart-shaped box of chocolates arrived addressed to me from my mother.  I have a feeling a new tradition is starting between my mother and me.  Happy Valentines Day. 

6 comments:

Kari said...

How cool is that! It makes me want to run to CVS tomorrow and buy a box, then mail it to my mom...I don't know if it would make it to AZ by Monday...way to go, Daughter - :)

Britt said...

You are inspiring. What a sweet thing to do for your mom.

Gabriela said...

That's sweet.

I used to get my dad a pack of Trident for those special occasions. :)

Jeanne said...

I actually got teary reading that. So sweet.

Kari said...

OK, about Valentine's Day: I have to tell you--I DID go to CVS and buy my mom a heart-shaped box of chocolates! The day before, I was on the verge of feeling sorry for myself: MY hubby was gone on business the whole Valentine's Day weekend and day. Poor me, poor me.

Then, inspired by your blog, I thought of my mom and how she does not have her Valentine (my dad) around anymore. He can't send her these type of Valentine's Day gifts. Anymore. Ever. (Talk about gaining perspective and suddenly feeling small.)

She received the chocolates on V-day, and she said it brightened her day and reminded her, in a good way, of the little things my dad used to do for her.

Janice said...

Thank you for telling me that Kari. It brightened my day.