Monday, April 11, 2011

Unconventional Sunday

Yesterday turned out nothing like I planned.  Sunday's are usually, and thankfully very predictable in our house.  We get up, go to church, come home, eat lunch and then enjoy the rest of day together as a family.  I make the kids practice the piano, often finish up a little homework and then we watch "America's Funniest Home Videos" together.  Lately, we have added watching Celebrity Apprentice as well.  Often my husband goes Home Teaching.  Sometimes, we play Speed Scrabble.

Well, yesterday did not feel like a Sunday.  We started out well.  We attended Stake Conference.  It was a wonderful meeting.  We came home and had a yummy lunch and I started to make Lion House Rolls. I purchased at Costco, their roll mix and they are very yummy and easy.  I even got the kitchen mostly clean.  

Then, my kids, while the weather is still in the mid 40s and plenty of snow on ground, decided to have a water fight.  I found toothsome #4, drawing on the walls in my family room with chalk, who informed me, "It just wipes right off."

So, I went to the basement, where my husband was trying to take a nap and joined him.  I pretended to ignore the kids upstairs.  It didn't work.  I told my husband,  "I am going to run on the treadmill."  I decided I was going to do six miles.  I was on the treadmill for less than 10 minutes, when the kids came in crying and blaming each other for the water fight chaos.  Toothsome #2 decided to do her last part of homework and needed my help.  Toothsome #1 couldn't practice the piano without my help.  I said, I would help once I was off the treadmill. The phone rang twice.  I was on mile 3.5.

Dentist husband came upstairs.  The first phone call was a Scout issue we needed to talk about.  The 2nd was a patient who needed help immediately and my husband had to go to the office.  He then said, "I hate to do this but I could really use your help dental assisting."  I was on mile 4.  I said, "Can you wait 20 minutes?"  He said, "No, but I'll just go without you."  I continued running.  At 4.5 miles, Dentist husband walked into the room in his scrubs and tripped on a toy and went crashing to the floor.  I got off the treadmill and said, "Maybe exercising on Sunday is a bad idea."

So, I jumped in the shower, threw on my scrubs and met him at the office.  We helped this very nice patient.  It always feels good to help people who are in pain and get them relief.  My husband really loves being a dentist and has no qualms about going in after hours to help patients in need and I am glad to help him.  As we were closing up the office, we looked at other.  I was starving and needing a big glass of water.  He was starving.  We called the the kids and said we would be home in 30 minutes.  We went to In and Out Burger and had a date.  I know, it was Sunday and we try not to spend money or shop on Sunday but going on a date with my husband, taking 30 minutes to talk to him and not be constantly interrupted by the kids, laughing about our unconventional day felt right.  We both needed it.

We came home.  I baked the rolls, I cut up some apples and we had a fun evening of "America's Funniest Home Videos" and "Celebrity Apprentice".  We had a good talk about why Gary Busey acts the way he does (head injury caused by not wearing a helmet in a motorcycle accident and excessive drug use) with the kids.  (Always wear a helmet and NEVER use drugs.)  The day ended on a peaceful note--similar to how it started.  It was a good yet very unconventional Sunday.

1 comment:

Lisa Christine said...

In-n-out?? You lucky duck :)