Thursday, August 2, 2007

Migraine Attack

Last night I was hit with a migraine. About 5 years ago, I was diagnosed as a "migrainer" or someone with chronic migraines. It was actually a welcome diagnosis after about a year of going to doctors to figure out why my eyes were doing weird things, etc.

Anyway, here is the cycle of my migraines. I can feel one coming on, so I immediately take medicine. This really doesn't do anything but it makes me feel like I am doing something. I then wait for 12 hours in severe pain for it to subside. Nothing helps. If I can sleep, and I do wake up before the 12 hour period, the headache is just as bad. However, sleep rarely happens. To pass the time, I go into the kids bathroom, (it has no windows, so the light of the moon and stars doesn't make it worse--light sensitivity is a major problem for me), turn on the shower and sit in there, hoping the beating water relieves me just a little bit. It might but in all honesty, I am just in a lot of pain. Once the 12 hours is up, I have another 12 hours of "shakiness" but at least I can function and take care of my kids etc. It is a pain and fortunately, I only get the severe headache part about 4-5 times a year. I have other symptoms--blurred vision, tingling fingers, not being able to think clearly, more often but without the severe headache.

So, this morning, I am dealing with the "shakiness". I have ton to do. Oh well. I will just do it but a little slower than planned. BTW: Alberstons is having their great General Mills sale. I spent 35 dollars and saved over $45! And, all of the box tops go to my school.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm SO sorry! Let your kids spend the day outside. It's nice weather finally and not too hot. Don't clean, don't make dinner, just rest.

love.boxes said...

Janice, that is awful. Migraines are the worst.. do you get nauseous too? I think that my husband gets them from overwork and stress just because that's when it always happens.. when he's been sleep deprived. Hope you feel much better soon.