Thursday, January 28, 2010

Cheese Dip/Ball Whatever Recipe

At a recent party, my friend, Catherine brought this dip. It was a huge success and I thought I would pass it along to everyone. When I asked her for the recipe, she told me she has modified it from a recipe she had, so I am giving you the original as well as her modified version. I think the modified one is better but I don't like green peppers that are in the original one.

The original recipe: (From Christmas Recipes from the Lion House)

2 8oz packages cream cheese
1 can (8 1/2 ounce) crushed pineapple, drained
2 T finely chopped green onion
1/4 cup minced green pepper
1 tablespoon season salt
1 cup chopped pecans.

Soften cream cheese, Press all juice out of pineapple and combine pineapple, cream cheese, onions, green pepper and seasoned salt. Mix well. Refrigerate several hours. Shape into a log and roll in chopped pecans. Serve with crackers

Catherine's Recipe:

2 8 oz. packages cream cheese (the lowfat Nufchatel kind)
1/2 to 3/4 big can of crushed pineapple (it is way cheaper this way and I lean toward the 3/4 of can amount)
Small amount of chopped green onion or red onion
1 tablespoon season salt
1 cup chopped walnuts

Follow the above directions. I like wheat thins with this.

For the last few weeks, I have been making this recipe regularly and my only modification is that I prefer to just throw the nuts into the mixture and mix in with the rest of the ingredients. It looks really tasty in a nice bowl. And like Catherine, I prefer wheat thins with this. One time last week, I was craving it so much, that I actually got out of bed in the middle of the night and had some. (And, no I am not pregnant.)

2 comments:

Lisa Christine said...

Sounds interesting. I just can't imagine how those flavors mesh together (onions with pineapple)...but I'll take your word for it! Maybe I'll make this the next time I'm heading to a get together :)

Gabriela said...

It does sound good. I only get out of bed to get food when I'm pregnant. Are you sure you're not? Not even a little bit? :)