Sunday, January 10, 2010

Finds

Recently, I have discovered some great things that I thought I would pass along to everyone:

Mark my Time Bookmarks: You can get them here and I have been told Barnes and Noble also has them. My kids are all required to keep track of their reading minutes and this makes it super easy. I actually bought a bunch of them and plan on giving them as birthday gifts to my kids friends (with a book).

Taboo: My sister is a speech pathologist and she recommended this game to us as a vocabulary builder for my kids. We play by the traditional rules with my older kids and for my five year old, we just have him explain the words (without worrying about the words you can't say) when it is his turn.

Mitten tree: I know I have mentioned this earlier but I absolutely could not live without this in the winter time. You can get it here.

Stainless Steel Toy Pots and Pans: I bought these to go with my daughter's play kitchen. They look exactly like my pot and pans and she is always making dinner along side me at night. So cute, and so nice.

Cotton Terry Towels from Costco: I LOVE these towels. They are perfect to cleaning anything and I use many of them daily. They are in every bathroom, under my kitchen sink and my mud room. I use them to hand mop my kitchen floor, clean my mirrors and windows, soak up spilled items, etc. And, at the end of the day, I just throw them all in the washer with bleach.

Fablehaven books: I know I might be a little late on this bandwagon, but honestly, these books have given me something wonderful to read with my 10 year old son. My other kids love the stories as well, but these books have reshaped my relationship with my son as we race each other to read them and then talk about them together at the end of the day. It has become our "thing" together and as most of you know, it is important to have something special between your child that just belongs to the two of you. Also, the author graduated from the same English program I did at BYU.

2 comments:

jo said...

And did you know he was a member of Divine Comedy? Another connection right there.

Tess said...

We are big Brandon Mull fans around here as well. Eli stood in line w/ friends for TWO HOURS in order to get into his book signing. It's a good thing when they connect to authors like that.

And, we love Taboo. But, I had to go through the cards and remove the slightly inappropriate ones. Nothing terrible, but some words like 'prostitute' or such things.

I just wasn't in the mood to explain that one to my 10 year old son.