Thursday, February 8, 2007

Favorite Recipe--Teriyaki Chicken

My friend Gabriela posted on Fridays, her favorite meals that you make and freeze and re-heat for later. I loved her suggestions and thought I pass on a favorite and relatively easy recipe my whole family loves. Handsome Dentist, who is a much better natural cook than I am, came up with this.

FYI: This is a great meal for people who have celiac because it is gluten free, if you buy the gluten free soy sauce. I have several friends as well as 2 nieces and a nephew with the autoimmune disorder.

Teriyaki Chicken

Cook 4-6 chicken breast--I prefer to grill them, cut into strips and set aside.

Sauce:
1/2 cup soy sauce
4 Tablespoons sugar
1 to 2 Tablespoons crystallized ginger--pressed into small pieces. * You can use fresh but crystallized is easier for me to always have on hand.
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt

In a jar, take 1/2 cup cold water and 2 heaping tablespoons of corn starch--shake until well mixed.

Put sauce in a frying pan and let come to a boil. Add corn starch thickener and cook until sauce has a nice glaze ( 1 to 2 minutes.)

Add chicken and serve over Calrose rice. We like broccoli with it as well.

*For me the easiest way to do this, is pour the ginger in my garlic press and press it through.

2 comments:

di said...

Yum! I will have to make it. I love getting new recipes. Keep posting them!
Thanks!
Di

Gabriela said...

Thanks for the recipe (and the plug!). I'm going to try it.