Thursday, December 6, 2007

Christmas--Christmas Novels

I love the Salt Lake County Library system. It is much better than the one I was raised with and I spend a lot of time each week, checking out books.

A few years ago, I discovered that the librarians at our local library, set out Christmas themed books right after Thanksgiving. I have found a wonderful treasure trove of Christmas books that keep me feeling the spirit throughout the whole season. My indulgence for the last four or five years has been to check out Christmas themed romantic novels. I specify romantic novels--not romance novels because I like clean, romantic, fun love stories. No graphic bedroom descriptions, but total fluff, full of improbable stories of people finding love with a Christmas setting. Every night, I set aside a few minutes, and read them. Silly and frivolous but pure easy fun reads. In January, I again tackle more intense stuff but in not December!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds fun. How about some recommendations for your favorites. I could use some nice fluff to read.
Of course, I'm afraid to show my face at my library right now. When you check out 30 books at a time and you don't live close to the library and forget that they happened to be due, that makes for big time fines, which I haven't paid yet. But I'll have to go soon because the kids are bugging me that they need new books to read.

jo said...

very cool... i wish I read as quickly as you. I'm lucky if I finish one book in a month!

di said...

we are starting "the best christmas pageant ever" this weekend! i cannot wait! i think that my oldest will eat it up!
once again, i argue the point about the libraries. boulder (in my opinion) was far superior!
i have got to check out some of those romantic books. i love good, easy, feel good christmas books. as always, great suggestion! thanks!

Michelle said...

Another good idea! I think Mave Binchy has a collection of such stories I will have to request from my library!

love.boxes said...

I agree. I've read some tough reads over the summer and fall. Those kinds of books are not for the dark months when we don't get much sun. I've been reading Dickens in November and December and loving it. I'm hoping to get A Christmas Carol on tape from the library, but if I can't I may purchase the Patrick Stewart version on tape to read during Dec. :) I love "romantic" and not romance because that has to include Jane Austen right? :)