Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Christmas Memory/Recipe

My mom is very pragmatic and instead of having a huge Christmas meal that would require a ton of work, my mom and Dad discovered this Crock-pot recipe that we had every Christmas Day as our Christmas meal. My mom (and I think more often my Dad) would prepare this the night before and refrigerate it , to plug in on Christmas morning. The smell of it cooking is one of the great Christmas memories of mine.

Continental Chicken

(Keep in mind this recipe is 30 plus years old. Low-fat was not part of the vocabulary of America yet. I do try to "slim it down" by using Turkey bacon and low-fat sour cream and Cream of Mushroom soup but it still is full of artery hardening ingredients.)

6-8 chicken breasts
6-8 slices of bacon
1 jar of dried beef (the brand is Armor and you find it in the olive and relish section of the store. Sometimes, you can find a shrink wrapped package in the deli/cheese section). I only use about 1/2 to 2/3 of a jar.
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup flour

Arrange dried beef on the bottom of a greased crock-pot. Wrap each piece of chicken with a strip of bacon and lay on top of the dried beef. Mix sour cream and flour together. Add soup into mixture and pour over the top of the chicken.

Cover and cook on LOW for 8-10 hours or High for 3-5 hours.

Serve over hot noodles or rice.

The gravy is so good, I usually double or triple it (the sour cream, flour and soup mixture.)

2 comments:

Michelle said...

what a good idea!

sara said...

this is totally one of my favorites. i request it every time i go home!