Thursday, December 20, 2007

Friend Gift

I don't remember giving my friend's Christmas gifts until I was in high school, but around here, it is what all the elementary kids do. Every few days, there seems to be a knock on the door, and I open it to find a cute little person with a gift for one of my kids. For the past few years, this is what we have given in return.

They are called, "Bomb Bags" and they are Mylar bags with citric acid and baking soda inside. You break the citric acid pouch and once the reaction takes place, it makes a loud bang! The kids LOVE it.

Anyway, I have found them at various places on-line but I have had the most success with a company called, "Zymetrical".


I purchased Christmas themed plastic gift bags and then put 10 of the bomb bags inside. We stapled them shut with a note that says, "Hope your Christmas is a blast!" (Sorry about the sideways picture. I am too lazy to switch it.)
Anyway, it is a huge success among all of my kid's friends, boys and girls alike. Just make sure tell the parents to do the bags outside as they are loud and very mildly messy. And for those of you who don't know, the colder it is outside, the longer it takes for the reaction to happen. So, be patient if you live in cold climates.

5 comments:

Michelle said...

What a great gift idea! I love it! Oh and I loved the story from your sis in law. I may have to try that remedy. Even better, that is a fantastic gift idea for a hubby, they are so hard to think of really great gifts for!

Gabriela said...

Oh how my kids would LOVE these!

love.boxes said...

Oh.. My little c would love this! What a cute idea with no added sugar! :)

Anonymous said...

That is really fun! How much are those little bombs?

Janice said...

I always buy them in bulk--usually 100, so at www.zymetrical.com it works out to 16 cents each. Oriental Trading has had them but not always.