Saturday, December 8, 2007

THE way to see the Temple Square Christmas Lights

Last night, we did an item from our Christmas Fun list. My son had an in-door soccer game downtown. As I have posted many times before, I am not a big fan of in-door soccer and in my efforts to make lemonade out of lemons, I planned a Christmas Fun activity before the soccer game.

We left for downtown early and got parked at the Joseph Smith Memorial Building around 4:45 pm. The Joseph Smith Memorial Building has three great restaurants at varying prices. My favorite used to be "The Garden" but in the past few years they have upped their prices and with four little kids, it is too expensive to do that very often. Also, you have to be dressed nicely--not in the sweats and team t-shirts we were all wearing. So we opted for the relatively new "Nauvoo Cafe". It is a stand-in-line sandwich place on the main level. It is open from 8:00am-8:00pm. The food is really good and the desserts are from the Lion House Pantry. We had fun dinner and could hear Christmas music being sung on the lobby from one of the many high school choirs that perform there all season long. Afterwards, we went upstairs to the 10th level and looked at the Temple Square lights from above. We were warm, there were no crowds to fight with AND we had a spectacular view of the Salt Lake Temple. In past years, I have dressed my kids in all of their winter clothes and we have walked around the Square fighting the crowds of people. I worried I would lose someone and we were all freezing. This time, we all loved it and just soaked in the beauty from the warmth of the Joseph Smith Memorial Building.

We then went to my son's soccer game, listened to Christmas music in the car on the way home and my husband and I had a great date of watching, "Ocean's 13".

6 comments:

di said...

definitely the way to go! we did the same thing a couple weeks ago. as we ate dinner at "the roof" we looked out--from our table and could see the beautiful lights--we were warm and enjoying delicious food! fun!

love.boxes said...

I didn't know about the Nauvoo Cafe.. I'll have to try it. Sounds like a really fun day. I'm going to copy you for sure!

Anonymous said...

I've not heard of the Nauvoo Cafe, either. It sounds like a good way to see the lights--and multi-task your evening.

ash said...

Were there any laser pointers on hand? Sounds like a wonderful time. You guys are really having a wonderful holiday season!

Gabriela said...

Great idea-wish we were there to do it. Instead I'm here, sweating like a pig.

Nettie said...

This post makes me homesick! I miss being able to go to Temple Square at Christmas. It sounds like you had a very nice, and WARM, visit! Great idea!