Sunday, December 9, 2007

Christmas--Christmas Village


About 9 years ago, dentist husband was still in dental school and I was working for a small company as an assistant to the HR director as well as editing anything that left the office. My supervisor was a person about as different from me as possible but we managed to form a nice friendship in spite of it. We often went to lunch together at Chipotle, and she was the first person outside of my family that found out I was pregnant with my first child. (I was really morning sick and the only thing that tasted good was a Pepperidge Farm beef stick. She was a vegetarian and watched in horror as I cut slice after slice of it for lunch one day.)

Anyway, at the time, Oprah had started some movement that dealt with getting a journal, telling a friend why you valued them in it and then giving it to them and they in turn would do it for someone else. Often, a gift was accompanied with the journal. One day, I showed up to work and on my desk is this journal and a wrapped package. It was from my supervisor and in the journal she had written why she valued my friendship. In the package was a Christmas village house--a dental office. I had mentioned at some point that I thought it would fun to have a Christmas village but I wanted a village that had a dental office. She had actually researched villages and found this one for me.

Because of her, I later purchased many more pieces to that village that now sit in various places around my house at Christmas time. I don't have it set up as one scene but various houses, stores, trees and people on the various tables I have on my main floor. So as you walk around my house you discover more things. I think I now have a total of about 15 pieces and it is my kids favorite part of the Christmas decorations. The pretend people travel to different areas and they make believe with them all season long. Yes, various pieces have been broken in the past few years but it is worth it to see how my kids play. It helps add to what I like to call around here our "Christmas Magic."

3 comments:

Gabriela said...

That's a cool story- I don't often keep up on Oprah but that's a nice idea.

YOu should post some pictures of some of your pieces (especially the dental office!)

love.boxes said...

I would love to see some more of the village too!

di said...

i always enjoy looking at your village--what a fun decoration! i still remember when you sent me that journal. that was fun thing!