Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Christmas Memory--Christmas Ornament

I have a December birthday. My due date was actually Christmas Eve but fortunately for my mom (and me) I came early. My mom said it was a great Christmas because since she knew she was having a baby in December, she got everything done really early and since I came early, she was home with a newborn baby and it made that Christmas season very special.

Anyway, shortly after my mom came home from the hospital, my mom's neighbor (Mrs. Adams) brought over a Christmas ornament that said, "Janice's First Christmas 1972". It was a little white felt horse. I don't know exactly who decided to continue the tradition, but every year since, I have received an ornament on my birthday. On each ornament my mom writes the year and often "Janice's 6th Christmas, 5th birthday." They have come to be a wonderful documentation of my life as my mom often tried to buy an ornament that coincided with big events on my life. For example, the year I got married, she purchased a Lenox Wedding Bell ornament. When my father was a mission president in Costa Rica/Panama, the ornaments are Costa Rican birds. One of my favorites is a big 1970's wrapping paper covered box that my sister, Goddess #2 made as my ornament shortly after the tradition started. She asked my mom if she could make my ornament that year and on the tag in her 11-year old handwriting, it says, "Janice's 3rd Christmas, 2nd birthday." As I have had children, my mom has purchased baby themed ones to document their births.

I was the only one to get an ornament, being the only December birthday and it was always the highly anticipated gift that I (and my siblings) looked forward for me to open. And up until my siblings got married and moved away there was a grand procession to the Christmas tree to see where I would place my new ornament. I now have 35 (almost 36 since my birthday is in a few weeks) ornaments and I really need to have a separate tree for just them. One of these years, I am going to do it but until then, they mingle with the rest of the ornaments my kids have made over the years. As I pull them out, I am flooded with memories of past Christmas' and reminisce about them with my kids. And it has always made having a December birthday a little special--often when it can easily be brushed over by the craziness of the season. I am eager to see what will arrive from my mom this year.

5 comments:

di said...

my sister has a similar tradition for our boys. she gives them each an ornament every christmas--they also represent something special--mickey mouse for our oldest the year he went to disneyland for the first time, noah's ark--the boys love playing at the ark at thanksgiving point, etc. very special!

Gabriela said...

Janice-that is such a cool tradition your mom started. I love it. You'll have to post what you get this year.

love.boxes said...

What a wonderful tradition. I think it must be neat to be the youngest. My sister Jackie is the youngest of 7. Everything she ever did had a big appreciative audience. We all think she's the bees knees and I think that she has turned out the best of all. It just shows what lots of love can do.

Mumsy said...

So now I want to have a baby in December because that has got to be the best tradition, hands down!

Happy Birthday this month. You'll have to let us know which day it is when it comes.

Anonymous said...

We had a similar ornament tradition. So much fun!