Thursday, February 28, 2008

Beef Satay

I got this recipe from a magazine several years ago. It is supposed to be cooked on the grill on skewers but last night, I ran out of time and to put them on the skewers, so I just put them on a cookie sheet and broiled the meat for about 15 minutes. They were just as good if not better. So, this went from an easy recipe to a super easy recipe. My friend Gabriela loves this, so I am not the only one who thinks this recipe is a winner.

Beef Satay

In a bowl, combine 2 Tablespoons soy sauce, 4 teaspoons vegetable oil, 2 teaspoons grated ginger (I buy a section and freeze it. It is easy to grate and doesn't go bad that way), 2 teaspoons sugar and 1 teaspoon sesame oil. Pour marinade over 2 pounds of stir-fry beef and let marinade at least 10 minutes.

Side note: All of the grocery stores around here carry, "Stir-fry beef" in their meat sections. Occasionally, they don't have it out and I have to ask the butcher to cut me some. I don't know what the actual cut of beef it is but I am sure flank steak would be good.

If you want to take the time, thread strips of beef onto skewers and grill for about 5 minutes. If you don't want to bother, spread beef onto a cookie sheet with raised sides and broil for about 15 minutes or until done.

This recipe came with this optional dipping sauce but I made it only once and decided the meat was too good plain so I haven't bothered since. But here is that recipe, if you want it:

1/4 cup peanut butter
3 Tablespoons hot water
1 Tablespoon soy sauce
1/2 tsp. lemon juice
1/2 tsp. sesame oil

We usually eat this with asparagus or broccoli and have it over rice or with my spirole recipe.

7 comments:

Michelle said...

Oh boy, I really need dinner idea!

Gabriela said...

This is a yummy recipe-and I'm so glad you tried it in the oven-I don't do the grill without Gaupo (it's charcol) so we don't have it as often as I'd like.

love.boxes said...

Great recipe! And, I love the tip on the ginger.. didn't know you could do that.. that's going to save me some $$ because I love fresh spices like that. :)

kel said...

this sounds tasty good. i'm going to give it a try.

di said...

do you have to flip the meat over?

Janice said...

Diane: No you don't have to flip them. SO easy.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.