Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Books I Have Been Reading

OK, my house looks like a bomb has gone off in it because I have spent the last three days reading. Once I started, I couldn't stop. I now have put myself on a book reading moratorium until I get my house back into shape--or least until I can walk across the floor and not step on something. So anyway, here is a list of the current books I have read:



Love Walked In by Marisa De los Santos: I can thank my blogging friend Michelle for this recommendation. I liked this book a lot. The author was a poet before she was an author and her writing reflects it. Her word use and phrasing is beautiful. I should warn people the "f" word is used about 5 times in it but it shouldn't stop people from reading it. The story was quirky and good.



Amazing Grace by Eric Metaxas: Thank you Liz for writing about his on your blog. Don't be fooled in thinking this is about the hymn. It is not. It is about William Wilberforce and his campaign to end slavery. I really liked this book but I am a lover of history and I realize it might get long for some people. I will admit, at times, I felt like, "Come on, get to it already." But that said, I was embarrassed I didn't know about this part of history before. A movie has been made about this book and I have it on reserve at the library. However, I am something like number 230 on the list, so I might just have to shoot the lock off my wallet and pay to rent it.



Escape by Caroyln Jessop: Again, a Liz recommendation. I could not put this one down. It is about the Warren Jeff's polygamy sect down in Colorado City, UT. It was a fast, fascinating read and the only thing I didn't like about this book was that she didn't include a picture of her husband and the other sister wives. Call me a voyeur but the author paints such an amazing picture of her husband and the wives, I wanted to see what they looked like. As an active LDS Mormon, I am amazed by how fast fundamentalism can change and distort basic truths.



The Faraday Girls by Monica McInerney: My friend Lyssa (who doesn't blog) recommended this one to me and after a slow start, I liked this book. I didn't love it but it takes a lot for me to love a book, so don't be turned away from it just because I didn't love it. I think I will read this author's other books (Family Baggage and The Alphabet Sisters) as well because she really is a good story teller even if some of the characters really bugged me in this book.



So, waiting in the wings to be read are: Moloka'i by Alan Brennart and The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards. I won't start either for at least another few days. When I say my house is a mess, I mean it. I almost didn't open the door when a neighbor stopped by because it was so messy. Yes, that bad.

8 comments:

Michelle said...

I liked both the memory keepers daughter and the alphabet sisters! sorry if I have contributed to the state of your house, but it makes me feel a bit better! I just dug mine out! Glad you liked my book too!

love.boxes said...

One of the recent books that I read said that reading is good for your marriage. It makes you a much more interesting person and I believe that! Good for you!

Gabriela said...

I'm laughing because I am the same way-Guapo is not loving that I bought the "Twilight" books in Houston. I've decided tonight I will force myself to put the book in Pedro's room when he goes to sleep-that way I won't read it until tomorrow when Gaupo goes out of town!

love.boxes said...

When you said the boxes just arrived.. did you mean today? I hope they got there sooner than that or that is one round about way to get there. I should have just driven them down myself :)

Jane Anne said...

I have the dvd of amazing grace..walk across the street and it's free!!

by the way, I started The Red Tent and decided not to finish it. I kind of agree with what you said about it. however, my sister has continued reading it and says I should finish it.

I also start reading "#1 ladies detective agency" It's the first in a series of three books. Have you red them? I've just started. So now I'm in the middle of two books and I have to teach on Sunday. What to do.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lisa said...

Janice
Definitely go get the movie from your neighbor - I really liked the movie! It's also nice to know there are other compulsive readers out there. You sure read a lot in a short time.

ash said...

What is your favorite type of book to read? Is it history? Fiction? Mystery? It sounds like you've been able to enjoy many types!