Thursday, May 1, 2008

My Lastest "Improve Myself" Regime


I am a relatively low-key person who doesn't let the craziness of life overwhelm me but every once in a while, I stay up all night, imagining all of the bad things that could happen to me, my husband or my kids. It takes over my mind and once I get started, it overwhelms me and I struggle for a few days trying to shake it. My husband, the non-freaker outer on the family always says, "You freak out about what you know, but there are a million things you haven't heard of that could get anyone one of us. Just stop it." That doesn't really help because I end up on WebMD at 2:00 am, researching diseases. Anyway, I don't think I am that unusual but maybe all of you are reading this and thinking, "No, that never has happened to me."


Anyway, last week, I started down that road again and finally, out of desperation called my mom in tears and said, "OK, help me work through this one." My mom is always a voice of reason and between my tears and worry, she got me to confess that no I don't get much sleep and I am lucky if I get one fruit or vegetable eaten a day. (Again, my McJanice problem--french fries don't count as a vegetable.) So, she made me PROMISE to do the following:


Eat one CITRUS, LEAFY GREEN VEGETABLE, CARROT and APPLE a day. (And to stay off WebMD--which is a major problem for me, exercise but not freak out exercise like I tend to do and drink more water and less Diet Coke)


Let me tell you, the reason why people don't gain weight eating those things is the amount of chewing involved. Holy cow, sometimes I am exhausted after eating a spinach salad. I feel like I just sit there and chew and chew and chew. I still need to get my apple in for the day and I am dreading it. I am ready for a trip to Jamba Juice.

9 comments:

Michelle said...

Oh Janice! I am right there with you today! My mom is a breast cancer survivor and today I have had myself so freaked out about some tenderness under my arm I actually made a doctor appointment! Okay, now I actually do need to be seen for my yearly exam, but I know what you mean, sometimes your head can just really get away from you. I acutally started running through what to do for my kids should I not be here! My mom always says part of the job of being a mom is worrying. Dang I am good at it! More "living food" as my mil calls it probably wouldn't hurt me either!

Mumsy said...

Every time I open my mouth when I'm talking to Fred, I have to preface my comment with, "I know you are sick of hearing about this, but..."

Then he asks which disease I'm referring to that I might possibly have. (WebMD is dangerous...but addictive!)

Maybe you could try drinking one of those green smoothies. I keep seeing them all over the place. But seriously, if I could get all my veggies and fruit in all at once in one drink, I may consider it.

love.boxes said...

This post is the main reason I went on that diet.. weight control is secondary. Freaking out and staying up all night is "my thing".. but I don't want it to be my thing and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

Diseases aren't what scares me though (unless c is unwell and then everything goes through my head)... it's more like war, horrid people and the state of the world, mommy guilt (I'm good at that one) I'm trying to raise a kid in a world that I find a very frightening place sometimes... it's difficult to be brave and the news is so R rated for me. What a great idea when this is your problem to go to bed with all the horrid things that happened in the whole world on your mind... it's a recipe for a bad night.

Anonymous said...

Good for you! I don't know how you can be so skinny if you don't ever eat vegetables and you eat fries all the time? How unfair is that?

Gabriela said...

(reading back) Cute hair Janice!

I was thinking of you the other day because I made your yummy sesame beef (in the oven this time)-the kids loved it.

(current post) I do this too. I had to stop watching all of those scary news shows like Dateline. I don't usually freak out about medical things but more like kidnapping, rape, murder, fun stuff like that (probably because of the awesome places I live!). I just have to tell myself "STOP SELF, YOU ARE DRIVING ME NUTS!!!"

Totally laughing about all of your chewing. :)

Jane Anne said...

I worry all the time about cancer...It seems like it's everywhere...I have actually had conversations in my mind like Michelle does, about what I would tell my kids etc....anyway, lack of sleep does really wierd things to us all.

di said...

good advice from your cute mom! i will have to take it as well!

Michelle said...

I like your mom's day ideas janice, and I like how you spelled it out for hubby and kids. that way you don't spend the day disgruntled that they blew it(does that sound like experience talking?).

Michelle said...

Thanks janice, I am going to steal the memory idea too!