Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Recipe--Black Bean Soup

This recipe is originally from my sister-in-law Kelly but I have modified slightly. Kelly a great cook and puts me to shame regularly. Her hummus recipe is to die for. You can find that recipe HERE.

Anyway, I don't even like soup but I LOVE this one for some reason and all my kids like it as well and it is the easiest black bean soup recipe on the planet but tastes like you spent all day working on it. Enjoy!

Black Bean Soup

2 cans S and W black beans (Don't bother unless you use S and W)
2 cups chicken broth
1 onion--chopped fine
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1 tomato, peeled and cut up
1 bunch of cilantro, chopped--divided in 1/2.
1 lime
sour cream (optional)

In a large sauce pan, saute onion in olive oil (about 3 minutes) with lid on. Add chili powder, cumin and garlic salt and saute a bit more.

Add beans (with all the juice--so don't drain) and chicken broth. (I like to mash the beans just a little bit before I add the broth--they mash better. You want the beans broken up but not mushy.)

Add tomato and 1/2 of cilantro.

Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer (with the lid on or off--doesn't really matter) for 15-20 minutes.

Just before serving, add juice from lime and other 1/2 of cilantro.

This is really good with sour cream and flour tortillas on the side.

No comments: