Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Sometimes I am a Crappy Mom


Ok, my kids are currently in swimming lessons from 11:00-11:50 am. Open swim at our pool starts at 12:00 pm. There is a Wendy's restaurant across the street and so last summer, we often swam, ran to Wendy's and then went back for open swim and usually stayed until 2:00 pm.




So, today was the first day to do it this summer. The only problem is that toothsome #4's nap is at 11:30ish and so I knew I would be pushing the envelope by going back for open swim without first putting her down for a nap. However, we my kids were still in their swimming suits, and I didn't want to deal with going back home to do it.




POINT NUMBER 1: I am a crappy mom because my house is within walking distance to the pool and going home to put her down for a nap would have been no big deal. She only sleeps until 2:00, so we would have had plenty of open swim time before going home to get dinner ready. Nobody would have cared but me and I did care, so we didn't.

So, we swam and everyone had a great time. Toothsome #4 was fearless in the water, I was able to talk to some great friends and enjoy the pool on a hot day (currently 92 degrees).

At 2:00 pm, I loaded the kids in the car and decided that instead of going straight home, we would go to the grocery store, which is in the same parking lot as the Wendys.

POINT NUMBER 2: I am a crappy mom because it was WAY past toothsome #4's nap time and instead of taking her home, I went grocery shopping. It took about 45 minutes.

While shopping, some lady says to me, "Your baby has fallen asleep in the cart." I look down and poor toothsome #4 is fast asleep with her little head bobbing back and forth--you know, like the men in the bishopric do during Sacrament meeting.

POINT NUMBER 3: I am a crappy mom because instead of leaving and putting her to bed, I had toothsome #1 hold her head still, while I pushed the cart and finished my grocery list. I only had about 3 things left to get and I was bound and determined to get them--regardless of my little baby's sleeping needs.

We headed home and finally toothsome #4 was put in her crib.

POINT NUMBER 4: I am a crappy mom because because Toothsome #4 was put in her crib, in her swim suit with her swim diaper still on which means she will probably go pee all over herself and wake up. I will need to change her bedding which will be payback to me for taking such crappy care of her in the first place.


POINT NUMBER 5: I am a crappy mom because when I got home a friend called and invited me to go to the pool on Thursday at 12:00 to do the same thing and I AGREED!

To finish this day, maybe I should just give everyone ice cream and Diet Coke for dinner and let them stay up until midnight.




6 comments:

Jan said...

This cracked me up Janice. We are all cr/appy moms then. I would say it sounds more normal than anything else.

Loved the whole list of it. I can remember it all.. Even the ending on what you should have fed them. That about flew me onto the floor laughing.

Queen Elizabeth said...

Girl, all I know is that you are not a crappy mom. 3rd and 4th children's naps just cannot always be accommodated.... as much as we'd like them to be.

I feel like I need to be in therapy today... Ugh.

Hang in there!

The Donald said...

That sounds like the kind of dinner my girls would love. What time are you serving?

Thanks for looking at my blog!

ash said...

This just sounds like a fun, busy summer day to me. If everyone is happy, and #4 fell asleep when she needed to, all's well that ends well, right? It's great that the pool is so close!

sara said...

dude, you and i have very different approaches. if i did all that, i'd be patting myself on the back. "i'm a great mom, because i took you guys to swim lessons AND wendys AND back for open swim, and then i even bought groceries so you guys could eat healthy food!" you just need to change your outlook.

seriously; sounds like a great day. #4 can nap in the fall, when school is back in session!

love.boxes said...

My little c IS almost up until midnight every night this summer and sleeping in until 10! What is wrong with me!?!? I think we are just surviving it.. right?