Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Trip to the Dentist--Dad


Yesterday, my three oldest kids had their 6 month dental cleaning. Normally, this doesn't cause me any stress because Dentist husband brushes and flosses all my kids teeth every night before bedtime and there has never even been a hint of a problem. I am rarely involved in the process and so I have felt like it is something that is just not on my "to do" list. Dad is a dentist. Dad manages tooth care in the house. Problem solved. Unfortunately, I learned that is no so.
At the previous 6-month check up, Dentist husband pulled me aside and not so nicely, really chastised me for not taking better care of toothsome #3's teeth. He said, "Based on what I have seen today, he is being set up for a MOUTH full of cavities." He then said, "You have got to stop buying fruit snacks, gold fish crackers, or other "flour substance" foods that he snacks on and that sit on his teeth. I know that is what is causing this. I see this problem daily." I was also not so gently reminded to brush his teeth morning, noon and night. (Who has the time or patience I ask you?) Anyway, being chastised by a stranger is one thing, but by your husband the dentist is another. The look of disappointment on his face is even more humiliating. I have seen him give it to others but to me? Heart crushing.

So, for the last 6 months, I have stepped up my game and I hoped we didn't have a mouth full of cavities. I had dreams of "sugar bugs" attacking my son's mouth and when he would walk in the room with a handful of some food, I would say, "What are you eating?" "We have to go and brush your teeth again!"
Well, thankfully, after this last check-up my husband's hygienist said there had been no change in toothsome #3's mouth and thus, no cavities. Alleluia! Dentist husband confirmed it, gave my son a big hug and said how proud he was of him and his good teeth cleaning work (Excuse me, whose work?) and sent us on our way.

Sometimes being married to a dentist is not so great. But only sometimes.


7 comments:

love.boxes said...

Wow! I think it's great that you both do all that to have your kids have healthy teeth. By the time they have the permanents.. they should know what it takes to take care of them. I have cavity prone teeth and work very hard to keep them nice and I read the other day that having a clean mouth can add up to 5 years to your life!

jo said...

You know, people used to ask me if my dad never let us have candy. Even at Halloween, those in the neighborhood would ask us if our dad knew we were out begging for candy and if he was ok with it. Truth is, I don't remember hearing any restrictions. It makes me wonder what was said to my mom!

di said...

glad that he got a clean bill of health! i know that i stress out (for my children and myself) every 6 months!

Gabriela said...

Oh how I hate having the dentist lecture me. I feel like I am 10 years old again (my dentist has been my dentist since I was in 3rd grade, so that's probably part of it).

Good work on the hard work mom!

Jan said...

I had no idea that it would be hard to live with a dentist. Joking..

I am glad that you stepped up to the challenge and the results paid off. Way to go mom..

Michelle said...

Okay, don't envy you this one. I feel soooooo guilty whenever one of my kids has a cavity, I can't imagine if it was hubby who gave me that look! Good for you though, sounds like your kids are going to have great smiles always!

Lisa said...

You took the chastising better than I would have. Way to be a good Mom!