Friday, January 25, 2008

Resolutions


Yes, I realize it is a little late but I have been thinking about my New Year's Resolutions all morning. From year to year, they never really change but I always try to REfocus on them at the start of the year and evaluate them all year long. So here they are:

1. Make dinner more often for my family, thus saving money and eating around the dinner table together as a family more often. I am a reasonably well educated person who has managed to accomplish quite a long list of things--I'm bilingual for heavens sakes! However, when it comes to making dinner it still eludes me. Every time I make a plan, it fails me because when it comes right down to it, I still have to actually make the dinner, which is the problem. I HATE HATE HATE making dinner. When I do make it, everyone seems to like it and I have been told by people who have eaten the food that I rarely prepare, that I am a pretty good cook, but when it comes down to it, I hate the whole process. But, every year, this is my primary goal and sometimes I am much better than other times.

2. Dejunk every room in my house. This is doable and I just need to step away from the computer and/or a book I am reading to do this. When I say dejunk, I mean a serious deep cleaning of every part of my house and have bags ready to fill. I just did this with my guest room closet and it felt so good. Today, I am attacking my kitchen.

3. Exercise regularly and make our house a "healthy" house. I have really slipped on the whole exercise regularly part but once again, I will start doing it. Once I get into my program, I really am very diligent but if I have a break in my routine, it is hard to start once again. And, unlike most of my friends, I don't like dropping my kids off at the local gym's daycare, so I can workout there. It goes along with my whole, "I only get these kids for a short time" thought process and I don't get babysitters, so I won't do that. So, I just need to either brave the cold and go on my 2 mile walks or get out my tried and true exercise video. Right now, the cold air is calling me, so it looks like I will be doing that. And, once I do the exercising, the whole healthy house follows right behind me.

4. Regular scripture study. Call me a sinner, but when I climb into bed at night, I want to curl up to a good brainless read, not focus intently on my scriptures. So, I need to fit in, sometime in the morning, time to read the scriptures. Since I am not the nursery leader anymore, I have started attending Relief Society for the first time in about 10 years, so I have been feeling more uplifted during the week, which is inspiring me to do likewise daily at home. Just to ease my conscience a little, I do read the Ensign and Friend front to back every month and those are both full of scripture references, which I do read.

So, there you have it. I have read a lot of your goals, many of which I would like to incorporate but for now, I think these four are all I can handle. Oh, and while I have been typing this my favorite household item, my Roomba has been vacuuming for me. GREATEST INVENTION FOR MOTHERS EVER!

5 comments:

love.boxes said...

the only one I do is number 4 and study is not the word I would use.. read is more the word I would use. However, it was my goal last year to read with C and c at breakfast and we have actually been pretty faithful which makes me feel good.

If you get the dinner thing down... let me know. It's so much pressure to me. I make the same dumb recipes all the time and I think people get really tired of them around here.

Dejunk! I would love to hire someone and then just close my eyes. I have a small home and I love it! I'd like to stay here. You wouldn't want to move just to store more junk. My books are taking over the house. I love them soo much though.

By the way, you didn't sound creepy at all. Actually, your comment was really appreciated and helpful. I struggle with that sort of thing a lot and it's encouraging to know that you can beat it.

Jenn said...

Those are all really great resolutions.
I don't mind making the suppers if I have a plan. It's when I don't have a plan and four o'clock rolls around and then cooking is the last thing I want to do.

Gabriela said...

thanks for this post-I have been meaning to post my resolutions but thought it might be getting a little late. Now I can link to you and say you inspired me...

(the first thing I'm going to get when I move back to the States is a Roomba)

good luck with your goals!

Michelle said...

Love your resolutions, mine are really similar I think. I would just like to know why these people have to eat dinner every day.It would be so much more fun to do dinner every other day! Oh, well!

Cassy said...

Glad to know I'm not the only one who hates making dinner. I don't mind doing it for adults who will actually eat it, but cooking seems a bit pointless for my little ones. We eat a lot of chicken nuggets around here!