Monday, January 28, 2008

Thoughts

When I was serving my mission on Temple Square, President Howard W. Hunter died. It was a strange day to serve on Temple Square because we had many visitors asking about who our current prophet was and our belief in a latter-day prophet. Most of them didn't know our prophet had died and when they found out from us, they had the obvious questions like, "Who will be the new prophet? How is he selected? and How do you know the next man is a true prophet?" I, like most of the missionaries serving on Temple Square that day did our best to answer those questions. Never more than on that day, did I have to look inward and really focus on how I felt about a Latter-day prophet. I LOVED President Hunter. His messages of love and kindness were something that always moved and inspired me to be a better person. I was very upset about his passing and did wonder how things would change when President Hinckley took on the mantle of being the next prophet.

In the days following President Hunter's death, I was lucky enough to attend the viewing and funeral and watch with the other missionaries the announcing of President Hinckley as the next prophet. I was amazed at how seamless it was. A few precious days were spent honoring the wonderful life of President Hunter and then it was back to work with a new prophet.

Today, as I have contemplated President Hinckley's passing, I am moved to marvel again at the beauty of the Lord's systems. Currently, our nation is undergoing a major divisive political campaign in an effort to choose our next president. Our nation is divided more than ever as issues of war, race, gender, and religion are being battled out on both sides. The lies, political maneuverings and drama surrounding this is outstanding. In contrast, in a few days, after viewings and funerals, and many tributes are made to honor President Hinckley, a new prophet for our international church will be named. There will be no speeches, no pulpit stumping (is that the correct jargon?), no internal strife as people vie for the position. Instead, quietly, a new man will slip into the Prophet role and the work will continue. I can't help by think of Josephs Smith's quote which I said almost every day on my mission, ". . .No unhallowed hand can stop the work from progressing. . .but the truth of God will go forth boldly, nobly, and independent, till it has penetrated every continent, visited every clime, swept every country, and sounded in every ear, till the purposes of God shall be accomplished.”

6 comments:

Gabriela said...

:) What a nice tribute.

love.boxes said...

Beautifully and perfectly said.

Michelle said...

Absolutely beautiful Janice! And would you believe I hadn't really compared the two processes(obvious as it is to me now!) and you are so right. It is so wonderful to have this peace that all is and will be well.

love.boxes said...

just checking and not trying to bug.. but I was wondering if you happened to get the e-mails I sent? ... just wondering if I still have the correct address. :)

Lisa said...

Beautiful post!

imbeingheldhostage said...

Lovely post. I can't be more eloquent than Michelle, she said it all.