Monday, January 28, 2008

Weekend Ramblings


Well, another weekend has come and gone. Some highlights:


--After going out to dinner Friday night, (I'm officially starting my resolution today--oven baked barbecue chicken for dinner), my husband suggested we go to Bed Bath and Beyond to look for some things he has needed at his office. Every time I go into Bed Bath and Beyond, and this was no exception, I get, "the frenzy". I am surrounded by all of these neat things and I start thinking, "I don't have one of those. How have I lived without it for so long? It might make my life so much easier? I might miraculously start liking to make dinner and need these things?" And, because at least at the one by our house, the isles are so close together, we end up with a bunch of things thrown into the cart that my kids have grabbed along the way. I always have to explain to the check-out person, that no, we don't need the 10 spatulas, 2 shower rods, and whatever else has been thrown in.


--Saturday night, we hosted the (I think 4th annual) Film Festival at our house. In honor of the more prestigious Sundance Film Festival, we host our own extended family one. We had a record number of submissions this year (10), with several movies arriving from out of state family. It was as always, a great time. Of course, I spent the whole time being the host and didn't take one picture to post here from it but believe me, we had a great a time and the winner this year was a hilarious spoof film by my husband's cousin spoofing, High School Musical 2's "Bet On It." It really was hilarious and we are huge High School Musical fans.


--We now have one to four o'clock church. For the first time, it doesn't interfere with any one's nap time and as a result, I am loving the afternoon schedule. Leaving church, I was starving and didn't want to go home and make dinner (yes, I have making dinner issues) I told my kids the "Wendy's Ox was in the Mire" and we were going to Wendy's for dinner. My 8 year old said, "Mom, that is breaking the Sabbath and I don't want to and I won't let you." I tried to explain to him what "Ox in the Mire" meant and he wasn't buying it. So, I didn't succumb to my Wendy's leanings and we went home and ate dinner there. After I did have food in my stomach and my blood sugar levels were normal, I thanked him for talking me out of breaking the Sabbath and told him how proud I was of him.


So, it is now Monday morning and back to life. Oh, has anyone seen "The Water Horse"? We saw it last weekend and LOVED it. I would recommend it. A big snow storm is on its way. I really do love the winter.

5 comments:

love.boxes said...

Don't you love when you teach your children well and then they keep you on track. That's what families are for. Someone in our family let a certain word fly out this weekend and they got in big trouble with little c. And, that person is going to do better and not say the bad word again. :)

You have good recipes Janice.. what's the Barbecue Chicken one?

love.boxes said...

PS.. Janice.. you might consider popping over to my friend Liz's blog (She's on my link list). She found me on the blogs after I hadn't seen her almost since HS. You'd like her and she'd like you. This is sort of a blog introduction. :)

ash said...

sounds like the film fest was a success once more! thanks for being our Robert Redford!

Michelle said...

I love that you taught that kid so well he saved you! And The Wendy's ox made me laugh! Sounds like a fun weekend!

Mumsy said...

Oh, that film festival sounds fun. Wish we were there!